Monday, October 27, 2008

Garden Utopia

Photo by Jack Kelly Clark
When we decided to plant a garden here at my work site, I was under the impression that we would create a garden utopia. The plants would flourish, the birds would sing, and an excellent demonstration garden would be born.

I was right about one thing...the birds are definitely singing. The reason? I just planted a few snacks for them, and in their own backyard no less. Meet my new arch nemesis, the white crowned sparrow. Oh yes, aren't they darling? Flitting through the trees and shrubs, warbling away while I unknowlingly planted some of their favorite snacks. Two local nurseries had donated 6 packs of broccoli, spinach, lettuce, onions, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and peas.

I did have this odd feeling that the birds were watching me as I planted, which I shook off as ridiculous. But after lunch I discovered 3 spinach and 2 lettuce plants had been eaten down to practically nothing. The next day, the peas were positively leafless, and I knew something had to be done.
I got out the chicken wire and with a lot of help made cages to protect the plants. Now, instead of a garden utopia, the site looks more like a battle zone. Just this morning I found a new gopher hole underneath the lettuce bed. I couldn't help feeling thankful that my livelihood was not dependent on this garden!!!

No comments: